For some unexplained reason honey, soy and chicken seem to marry so well. Such a versatile marinade, my favourite use of honey soy is in this recipe which gives you brilliantly sticky, scrumptious chicken – which adds the perfect protein to a freshly cut salad.
Sometimes you feel like eating a heartier salad that usual and I find that on warm summers days, this recipe hits the spot.
From a well-being angel, honey has superior health benefits like maintaining glycogen levels and improving recovery time to increase athletic performance. Honey helps with coughs, all honey is anti-bacterial and contains flavonoids, which are antioxidants that help reduce the risk of some cancers and heart disease.
Just another reason to add delicious sweet honey to some of your recipes.
What you will need:
1 tablespoon of honey
125g can of corn
1 chicken breast (slice it ready for frying in the pan)
Ice berg lettuce (approx. 2 handfuls)
Rocket (approx. 1 handful)
Baby leaf spinach (approx. 1 handful)
- Slice the iceberg lettuce, wash and place in the bowl. (fill the bowl perhaps ¾ to the top to allow room for the other ingredients). Throw on top some rocket and baby leaf spinach.
- Cut a shallot down the centre and slice then place into the bowl (replace with purple onion if you prefer)
- Cut up a tomato, remove the centre, slice and cut into small squares.
- Drain and empty the can of corn into the bowl.
- Slice up 1/2 avocado, use only ¼ of it and mix through the salad.
(Note: Even though avocado is a good fat that can lower bad cholesterol levels, if you are calorie counting be mindful of how much you introduce – 160calories per 100grams).
- Roast 10 cashews on your fry pan, just until they are a little bit brown then remove from heat.
- Cook one side of the chicken really well, until it browns well and you can see it is cooked nearly ¾ of the way through the flesh. Then flip the chicken over to sear the other side (which takes approx. a minute).
- Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper, (OPTIONAL: you may wish to add Italian herbs) Squeeze the honey onto the chicken while it is hot, to make it nice and sticky.
- Add a generous amount of soy sauce over the top layer, this will break down the thickness of the honey and create more of a sauce base.
- Once the flavour has been infused, remove the chicken from the heat and place on top of your salad.
- Top with remaining sliced avocado for presentation.