Thailand, formally known as Siam, is a country in South East Asia bordered by Laos and Cambodia. Thailand is an amazing destination that has so much to offer for not only solo travellers and couples, but families as well! We all might’ve seen Thailand featured on Getaway once or twice as it has some of the world’s most famous known attractions. Ever heard of the movie ‘The Beach’? A drama film based on a novel in The Philippines, but filmed in the islands of Koh Phi Phi in Thailand. I mean who wouldn’t want to go there? Leo himself sat right on it! Bursting with tourists all year round, it is such an inexpensive destination to travel to compared to other tropical islands, we’re talking $20 a day peeps! Have a look at our suggestions on the must see’s and things to do in Thailand!
- Krabi is your little slice of heaven including some of the best snorkelling spots just under the sea below you. The area is jam packed with island hoping tours. You can opt for a private island tour, skip the crowds and not have to worry about bumping shoulders with other tourists. You’re on holidays remember. The Krabi Emerald pool which can be reached by an 800m trail walk through the tropical forest is a natural pool filled with spring water. Krabi’s most ideal weather is between November – April during their dry season.
- Phi Phi islands is one of the most visited islands in the world. With Koh Phi Phi Don being the place for accommodation which is just off Phi Phi. It’s the simple things in life that really make our day and while you’re surrounded by one of the worlds beautiful beaches and aqua blue water, step back and just do… nothing. Take it all in and relax.
- Tiger Kingdom is without a doubt on the attraction list, giving you the chance to get up close and personal with tigers of different ages and sizes. Located at Kathu right at the bottom of Patong Hill, here is your chance to pat once of the world’s most wonderous and fiercely territorial predators and have your picture taken. It is free to enter the park, but to enter the enclosure you will have to pay depending on the size of tiger you’d like to get up close and personal with.
- Elephant’s play an important role in Thailand’s religion and culture, but also in maintaining the forests. Elephant Nature Park is a unique setting in Chiang Mai province, located in Northern Thailand. Aiming to provide a sanctuary and rescue centre for elephants, the park has provided a safe haven for dozens of distressed elephants from all over the country. Here is your change to have a fun and compassionate family day out and definitely something you should try make happen while you’re there.
- Chiang Mai is well set up for tourism but a much more manageable size than Bangkok. Kids will love the night markets – a bargain hunter’s paradise, as well as cycling through the tiny alleyways known as ‘Soi’, which can be explored away from the hustle and bustle of the main roads.
So here you have it, just a handful of tips on where to go and what to see within this beautiful country and without breaking your bank either! One more thing… Make sure you try the delicious food markets when you can, not just the restaurants. From my experience, I always found that the yummier foods came from the less ‘prettier’ places.
Now get packing!!