Don’t feel bad about what you eat this Easter, we’ve got the perfect substitute for the Easter staple that taste just as good as the original. Here is our recipe for sugar free hot cross buns!
What you’ll need
3 1/2 cups of Spelt flour
2 tsp of dried yeast
1 1/2 teaspoon of Cinnamon
1/2 Teaspoon of Nutmeg
A pinch of Salt
50g Non-salted butter
300ml Milk (or substitute for almond or coconut milk)
1 1/2 cups of Sultanas (naturally dried)
Additional 1/3 cup plain flour and 1/4 water for the cross
How to make them
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees celsius.
- In a large bowl, add the flour, salt and yeast.
- Beat the egg into a seperate bowl and set aside.
- On a stove, warm the milk. In the microwave, melt the butter.
- Make a well in the middle of the dry mixture and add both the butter and the milk mixture. Mix well, the trick is to do this with your hands and lightly knead.
- Once mixed, place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl and leave for 40 minutes until it has doubled in size.
- Knead thoroughly on a floured surface until the dough is a smooth texture.
- Add the remaining sultanas and spices to the mixture.
- To get the perfect shape, mould the dough into a rectangle and cut off lengthways rough squares.
- Roll each piece into a smooth ball.
- Bake the buns for 20 minutes.
- Take the buns out to draw the cross then cook for another 15 minutes.
For the cross
- Whilst the buns are cooling, make a paste mixing 1/3 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of water and pour into a piping bag. Draw detail on buns and then cook for another 15 minutes until golden brown.